About Me

Erica Bodman and Tina Stiller, two Leander girls aiming for European Rowing selection in the Women's Double.

Thursday 17 May 2012

The Beginning

Hello readers, thanks for starting this new blog journey with us! I hope you enjoy the journey through the summer with us, we will be keeping you updated on our racing and training as we aim for European selection.

First off, let us introduce ourselves. I'm Erica! I started rowing in 2008 in my second year at Cambridge University and after two terms of University rowing I was selected for the GB Rowing talent identification programme 'World Class Start'.  This started me on the road to full time rowing and GB trialling.  In 2010 I went to the World University Championships in my single, finishing fifth and in 2011 I went to the European Championships in an eight where we finished fourth.

Hey I'm Tina, I started rowing in 2003 at St. Peter's School, York.  During my time at school I was selected for two Junior World Championships and won a bronze medal at my second.  I then moved onto the GB U23 team where I won 2 silver and 1 bronze medal.  In 2008 I was selected as the reserve athlete at the Beijing Olympic Games.  I then moved into the senior team, representing GB at the 2009 World Championships in the women's eight.  Unfortunately since then I had a career threatening back injury which forced me to take 18 months off the sport.  I got back in a boat in April 2011 and since then I have returned to full time training and the GB trials system.

We are both athletes at Leander Rowing club and are coached by ex GB lightweight athlete Jane Hall.  The women's group at Leander is a selective high performance group containing just six athletes.  The Olympic Rowing Trials were held in March and we both put in good performances there. At the European trials in April Erica was unfortunately ill but Tina put in a great performance, winning the trials and cementing our position as the top two female scullers and improving our chances for GB selection in the double at the European Championships.

This season we are looking to race at the Metropolitan Regatta, Holland Bekker Regatta in Amsterdam, Henley Royal Regatta in a quad with two other Leander girls tbc and finally at the European Championships, pending selection.

L-R Erica and Tina
Here we are...we are actually friends outside of the boat! :) And like to do non rowing related activities in our limited spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment